New leadership to a department that has been plagued with scandal. Maybe a woman is just what the Secret Service needs. Read below for an excerpt from The Post.
Love her or hate her, it’s definitely worth the read. Even though I didn’t swallow her book down with a glass of feminism, it certainly inspired me to want to get out their and make it happen. Perhaps a motivational speaker for women is more of her calling in life? Read the link for a great article on the discussion of whether to love or hate Sheryl Sandberg.
I’ve been getting asked a lot lately, “How do I get over my ex?” and I am constantly hearing “I just can’t let go of him!” (if my sister is reading this, she’s laughing right now!)
There is nothing worse for womankind than having to deal with getting over an “ex”. It feels like the end of the world has hit us. A breakup leaves us feeling insecure, ugly, lonely, hopeless and even worthess!
Well dry those eyes, ladies, and pull out those stilettos!!! I have a few simple steps for you that will catapult you outta this self induced prison!
Grieving is a natural human process over a loss. Think about what people go through when a loved one dies? This same grieving process applies to breakups. A breakup is a painful loss to some. But what happens to us when we can’t let go? I can answer that very simply. We torture ourselves by constantly reliving our past and our past relationship.
Here’s my simple “5 Step Process to Surviving a Breakup”:
1. I have a motto that I tell myself when things seem really bad in my life. That motto is “Nothing is ever as bad or as good as it seems”. I think that this statement holds true in regards to just about any circumstance that life can throw our way. When we first experience a painful breakup, we need to repeat this motto to ourselves over and over again. This breakup isn’t the end of the world, even though it might feel that way at the time. Make this mantra a part of your daily life. Write it down and repeat it to yourself over and over again until it sinks in to your head!
2. You can’t move forward if you are constantly looking backwards. When I went through my divorce, someone had told me that I need to think of my life as though I’m driving in my car and looking out at the road ahead through my big, front windshield. This person told me that the rear view mirror was made small in my car for a reason, and that was so that I could keep my eyes straight ahead and focus on the bigger future that lies ahead of me. We drive forwards and not backwards for a reason. Remind yourselves of this.
3. Accept the things that you cannot change and change the things you can. This is truly my mission statement in life!! It’s my abbreviated version of the serenity prayer that solves most of life’s problems for me. If more people in the world abided by this principle, the world would be a much better place to live. I can’t tell you why your relationship didn’t work out and why he did the things that he did. Nobody on this planet has those answers for you. Chances are, you won’t ever have the answers to those questions. I know that’s a tough pill to swallow, but it’s the cold, hard truth. When you learn to accept that there just aren’t any answers sometimes, you can begin to heal. Accept that you can’t change what happened, change him, change the situation. It’s beyond your control. What you can change is how you are going to move forward with your life and how you are going to allow yourself to feel from this point forward. You have the complete control over your own emotional health. Allowing yourself to dwell in the past is your choice. Again, accept the things you cannot change and change the things you can. This is your key to freedom and healing.
5. Don’t allow yourslef to think about him anymore or to wallow in the past. Take a moment to give yourself one last good cry over him and to get it out of your system. Now say to yourself, “I don’t go there”. This is your new catch phrase when you feel like you want to relive the past or cry over him. This worked miracles for me in getting over my ex husband. I allowed myself after a year of excruciating agony to have my one last cry over him. I commited myself to the above steps and I let him go. Just like that.
Every time from that day forward that I thought about him, I repeated to myself, “I don’t go there!”. I committed to NOT allowing myself to live in the past anymore. I accepted that I couldn’t change what happened to my marriage and that I can’t control that he left. I realized that what I could change was me sitting around all day being depressed. I started to realize that I could control my emotional health and my future, by controlling my emotions.
It wasn’t easy at first, but the more that I didn’t allow myself to live in the past, the easier it got for me! (I don’t go there!) Before I knew it, I was much happier and I was finally able to begin focusing on my future instead of being stuck in my past. It became a habit for me not to dwell on my past hurts anymore.
I explained to my sister the other day that dwelling on your “ex” is like sticking your wet finger into an electrical socket. You’re going to get shocked each and every time you do it. Every time that you think about your “ex”, you get hurt. The simple way to solve that problem is to just NOT allow yourself to think about him!!
I hope that this helps all of you who are suffering out there with a painful breakup. All that I can say to you is that I’ve been in your shoes and I feel your pain. It’s awful. I promise you that if you use these simple steps, you will get better and life will get easier for you sooner than later.
Feel free to email me with any questions at email@example.com. I’ll try to help you in any way that I can!
“You have to rely on your support system. Growing up, I always thought it was a sign if weakness to ask for help, but now I realize that it’s really a sign of strength to say, “I need help, I can’t do it all.”
-Kerry Walsh, 33, Beach Volleyball Player, Two-Time Olympic Medalist
“I set my phone with motivational quotes to go off on random days and times, like, ‘You’re stronger than you think you are.’. I’ll forget about it, then one will pop up and it’ll give me a little boost.”
–Shawn Johnson, 20, Gymnast, Four-Time Olympic Medalist
“Somewhere behind the athlete you’ve become and the hours of practice and the coaches who have pushed you is a little girl who fell in love with the game and never looked back… play for her.”
-Mia Hamm, 40, Olympic Soccer Gold Medalist
“The triumph can’t be had without the struggle.”
“If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday.”
–Wilma Rudolph, 3 time Olympic gold medalist, track and field
Like every woman at some point in their life, I too have just come to the realization that I need to work on my waist line. Immediately! Over the winter months, I’ve allowed myself the luxury of over eating and even managed to convince myself that if I put vegetables on my pizza, it is a well balanced meal! Unfortunately, my waist line didn’t see it that way.
Reluctantly, I’ve been slowly migrating back to “healthyville”, spending time scouring health magazines and trying to eliminate empty carbs and replacing them with more lean proteins, fruits and vegetables.
I was reading Health magazine this morning and came across an article that gave me some food for thought that I wanted to share with you. The article was titled “Two Words That Stop Cravings”.
The article states, “Next time you’re faced with a tantalizing treat you’d rather skip, try this phrase: I Don’t Eat That! New research finds that 80% of women who used those words stuck with their good eating habits, compared to 10 percent of women who said, I can’t.” The article suggests that saying “I don’t” gives you a sense of empowerment.
So, here it goes ladies. The next time that I’m offered that delicious pizza, cheesy burrito, or that extra cold beer at the beach, here’s what I have to say…..
“I DON’T EAT THAT!”
Everything’s Coming up Roses
Kelly in Dolce & Gabbana, Beyonce in Stella McCartney, and Jessica Alba in Erdem are just a few of the A list celebrities that are stepping out in fabulous, floral style!
Does the trend work?? Yes or No?
I absolutely love bright flowers and think that this is a really fun way to brighten up your summer fashion and have a little fun at the same time. Paired with a killer pair of heels, the girlish, cropped length of the pants can work for any body type if worn confidently and paired with a simple top.
Jessica Alba and Beyonce make it daytime chic, while Minka takes it into the night by pairing these awesome Dolce & Gabbana’s with a sharp, black leather jacket. (I prefer the low waisted style to Beyonce’s high waisted version).
Well, I’ve gotta go….I’m off to find myself the perfect pair to wear out tonight!
Leave a comment and let me know your thoughts about this trend and who you think wore it best.
1. Got Zits?
Go and grab that lemon that life just threw at you!
According to Self magazine, “Citric acid, a naturally occurring alpha hydroxy acid, works like an astringent, clearing oil” from the skin. Take a tiny bowl and squeeze some lemon juice into it. Add a teaspoonful of water to dilute slightly. Grab a cotton ball and apply to oily or problem areas. Rinse after 15 minutes with warm water.
2. Olive oil as eye makeup remover.
If you’re like me and you’re using waterproof eyeliner and mascara, you’re going to want to take it off before bedtime. Olive oil on a tissue is a great way to save money and also doesn’t hurt your pretty eyes. No need to buy eye makeup remover anymore. Rinse face with water afterwards.
3. Sugar and Olive Oil
Miix equal parts of sugar and olive oil and stir in a small container. Seal the container afterwards for additional uses. It’s a great st home remedy that helps to exfoliate and moisturizer cuticles, lips, knees, elbows, and feet. I love this one and save money by not having to purchase those pricey sugar scrubs!
4. Pam cooking spray as nail polish quick dry
It takes the place of the aerosol quick drying product that they use at salons to dry the nails. It works just as well. (yep, I tried it and it really DOES work!)
5. UV Damage Face Mask: restore you sun damaged skin without destroying your budget with pricey spa facials. According to Fitness magazine, this at home facial works wonders for over exposed skin
What you need:
tablespoon of plain yogurt
Take the blueberries and mash them with a fork or put them in your food processor to blend, then add the yogurt.
Apply evenly to face and leave on for 10 to 15 minutes for maximum results. Rinse with warm water
Beauty Facts: The lactic acid in the yogurt helps to exfoliate and remove the UV damaged layers of the epidermis. The blueberries are loaded with vitamins C and E, which aid in moisturizing and repairing the fine lines caused by the sun.